[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-s and Sky channels

> > Can someone confirm my thinking that it is just not possible to
> > receive any non free-toair Sky channels with a DVB-s card? (due to
> > their tight grip on the encryption and lack of CAM thing.. ?)
>
> Free-To-Air is fine, they're unencrypted.  Free-To-View is the problem -
> since they're free in the sense you can get a FTV card without
> subscribing to Sky, but Sky still encrypt the channel using Videoguard.
>
> > I've very exited about building a PVR and will probably do so anyway,
> > but this is hard to take if true :(. Any help / guidance gratefully
> > received!

Right, FTA are literally open-ended (unencrypted) broadcasts whereas FTV are
encrypted only to stop those who aren't *supposed* to be viewing them for
free from seing - is that right? (So as to stop the continent wathcing BBC
etc..?)
And therefore for my DVB-s route - I'm pretty much buggered.

Terrible, I was dreaming of building a box that had advantages over Sky+.
It's not as if I want to hack Sky and break the security..

> DVB-T is going to be your easiest choice for UK programs.

Yes, might have to go down that route, very disappointing, have Sky ever
heard of the word monopoly? I think must, they are defining it very well.

How about DVB-c via teleware or ntl - do they encrypt with videoguard also?

If anyone has any suggests. re. good DVB-T cards...
I guess I'll look at mpeg encoders and IRC units as well, but that (at least
latter bit) sounds involved.

Could give up and let Sky win and give them they're blood money for Sky+
?250, installation ?50, and sub. ?10pm - don't know whether the installation
or the sub. fees makes me cry/laugh more.