[linux-dvb] Re: satellite newsfeeds

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:05:12AM +0100, Felix Domke wrote:
> >I have looked at the statistics, and all the groups there take only 11
> >kbps in total, it will be probably a little larger when new groups are
> >added, so a 16 kbps will be enough. It should not cost more than 100
> >EUR monthly to multicast that. And one multicast would supply it all
[... cut ...]
> It costs more than 100 Euro, it's more in the region of 5000 Euro if i
> remember correctly.

5000 Euro for 16 kbps? Can you give us a link where you saw that price?

> On the other hand: How many traffic (= $$$) could be saved if ONE
> provider establish an usenet->astra/hotbird/whatever feed and everybody
> would be using that? or is such a thing already existing?

There was one service like that but it was discontinues on
2001-Nov-17. Look here: http://www.boerde.de/sat/ There are a couple
of such services I've found now, let me describe two of them:

Cidera Usenet News Service
http://www.skycache.com/services/usenet_news/index.php
It seems to be avialable only in America, but some sources say that
Cidera transmitts also from a satellite over Europe. I have not yet
found out what is true.

SkyWay news
http://www.internet-skyway.com/index_swnews.html
This one is only avialable in Europe, it is transmitted on Eutelsat W2
16 degrees East. But this service is bad, because they supply you a
proprietary satellite receiver, which has a RJ45 ethernet output. They
require you to connect it to two-directional landline internet
connection, so they can connect with SSH to this receiver. The feed is
probably encrypted with a changing password, and this two-way
connection is needed to supply the new password every while. Otherwise
everyone could receive the news, which would be very good for the
world, and it would not cost the company a penny more (it would even
cost them less as they would not need to connect with all the
receivers with this SSH).

Here is a thread about DirecPC news cast:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&inlang=en&newwindow=1&th=52e0b9e1c9923d4c
I've heard that DirectPC had plans to swith to a DVB compatible system
(they used a propiretary protocol, which required to use only DirecPC
cards). Does anyone know if that is true. There is a site here saying
that DirecPC is now avialable in Europe: http://www.direcpceu.com/
They transmitt off HOTBird 3 stellite at 13ยบ East. Their serice does
not require a constant landline connection, so it seems everyone can
receive the news for free.

There may be many more such services, and maybe when we search more,
we can find a newsfeed which can be received by everyone without any
subscription, just by pointing the antenna to the right satellite,
tuning to the right frequency/symbol rate/polarity, and listening for
the right packets.

I would look more close at this pressrelease:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&inlang=en&newwindow=1&th=5fe99c5122cb9dc0

I nave mo time now, I have to work, would be nice if someone could
investige this subject more deeply.

> Problem would be, as always, encryption, since shared-secrets will never
> really work.

I do not understand what you have in mind here.
We want it to be receivable by anyone free, so there is no point in
encrypting anything. There is no point in encrypting Usenet sat-ffed
too - it's all public anyway. On the WWW you do not encrypt any sites
exceptyour logon to your bank and a couple things like that - all else
is meant to be accessible by anyone.

--
___ ICQ: 4004001 ___/___ tel.: +48608233394 ___/  mailto:miernik@ctnet.pl