[linux-dvb] ts2es, ts dumper

I had a problem with radio channels (or TV sound used that way),
with the usual:

dumprtp | ts2es | mpg123 -

Streaming from dvbstream this was not really usable: the sound
has an acute 'blip' every half second or so. rtptsaudio has
a similar problem, with lots of white noise instead of blips.
Problem is too regular to be in the data, and indeed using
an intermediary file was much better.

To debug that I wrote some pedantic TS/PES/ES parser, with
an option to do the same as ts2es. It works, but I don't
really know why. I had various ideas about the stream
processing, but none very convincing. Couldn't find anything
obvious trying to look at rtptsaudio code and the included
mpegtools code. My current supposition is that it's a buffering
pipe issues and mine works because it does write (stdout, ) on
PES boundaries, which ts2es may not do. It is probably triggered
by some combinations of circumstances here (my sound 'card' is
USB, so maybe there's an issue there). Anyway, if someone has
a similar problem you may want to give it a try, the program
is at:

http://www.nenie.org/misc/mpsys/

It also includes a dumper for all of the TS/PES/ES(audio)
headers, with continuity checking, so it may also be useful
to check that a stream is well formed or see all the
info in the packet headers. The packet parser can be used as a
library.

--
franck@nenie.org