[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

Sorry to restart this thread, but I'm now wanting to have another crack at getting my Nova-T working, after an enforced break due to pressures of work. I've found a little time to play with DVB this weekend, and scanned the list to see if there were any other tips I could try.

To recap, the card works under Windows, so my problem is not a hardware fault with the card. It works randomly on one linux setup and not at all on another. It's currently plugged into the one where it doesn't work at all (the other is my wife's, who doesn't want me messing too much with her computer).

I have now tried Gavin's advice and removed the Audigy to make sure there were no IRQ clashes. lspci -v and /proc/interrupts showed the card had IRQ 5 to itself, but it still returned the same errors.

I have tried the latest CVS snapshot drivers, the 1.0.0-pre1 drivers and the latest Metzler Bros drivers (1.1.6b). None of them offer an improvement. I have also checked out the latest dvbtune source from CVS. Whatever driver I use and whatever frequency I try to tune to, I get low Bit Error Rates (50 - 500) and high Signal Strength (12079) and SNR (50000+). But I still get "Nothing to read from fd_pat/fd_sdt" errors.

I have also tried building the latest 2.5 series kernel (2.5.62-ac1), as someone suggested that was the easiest way of getting DVB working. However, easy is not a word I would use for it. It requires me to replace some of my basic modutils (insmod, rmmod, modprobe etc.) with alternatives from another package, which I am loathe to do, in case it leaves my existing setup unusable.

A few thoughts:

1. I seem to have both the old and the new device structures under /dev. I have /dev/ost/ and /dev/dvb/adapter0/. Am I right in thinking the former is the old and the latter is the new? Some of the devices in /dev/ost have identical major and minor numbers to the devices in /dev/dvb/adapter0. Could that cause a problem? Should I delete /dev/ost?

2. I have learnt from advice related to the Terratec DAB tuner that linux does not play nicely with Via chipsets. Could there be a problem with the Nova-T and Via-based motherboards? Have other people got the Nova-T (or equivalent) working on Athlon/Via combinations?

3. What about device permissions? The old (ost) devices are world read-writeable (666). The new (dvb/adapter0) devices are only read-writeable by root (600). While I try to get this to work, I am running dvbtune as root, so there should not be a problem with permissions, but I am always suspicious that devfs (which Mandrake runs be default) is screwing things up.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does it look like a hardware clash is responsible? All my systems are Via-based (except for my wife's), so it's going to cost me if this is the problem. If it really is a case of replacing the hardware, what would people recommend (in the UK)? Replace the motherboard (and probably CPU with it)? Or replace the Nova-T? And replace them with what?

Cheers,

Bruno Prior