[linux-dvb] Re: Technotrend DVB-T 1.2 recommended for UK?

Gregor Lawatscheck wrote:
> At 13:42 07/07/2003, you wrote:
>>Which sounds great, but I've trawled the archives for this list and the
>>1.2 version uses the SP8870 chip. Now I do believe the dvb driver now
>>supports this chip, and I remember a post which says this card works great
>>in Berlin. But there was a big thread a few months back about problems
>>with the card hanging when maybe changing multiplexors for UK freeview.
>>Were these problems ever solved? Is there anyone out there with a 1.2
>>DVB-T in the UK who can recommend the card, or should I stick with my
>>current setup, or perhaps something else?

> There appear to be issues with the full featured version of the DVB-T 1.2
> card but I don't think it has been established whether it's a problem with
> some of the cards or even a single card. Neither is there much info on
> whether it's a driver / firmware problem - which I guess is hard to test as
> the generally quite stable 0.9.4 drivers (they don't appear to mind
> reception errors or no signal too much) didn't support the full featured
> DVB-T card? Edward Wildgoose will know more about this, I'm sure.

There seem to be two different full featured DVB-T cards from
Technotrend. The 1.2 version that I have uses the forementioned SP8870
chip (and an ALPS tuner) and is supported by the new DVB driver.
But: it has obviously some design flaw that leads to vertical lines on
the composite out (at least seen by me and another person). Also the
tuner (or frontend or whatever?) locks up often, so that you cannot tune.
It is not quite clear whether this can be resolved by the driver
developers or if this bug is in a closed source binary that has to be
taken from the Windows drivers.

Actually I cannot recommend to buy this card. If you can get the other
version with a Grundig tuner it might be better - but I don't know.

Cheers,
Juri