[linux-dvb] Re: Nebula with any kernel

Hello Brian,

I don't have a Nebula card but I do have a compiled driver.  I'm writing
a driver based on it for a new card.

First thing to realise is that it isn't include in 2.5 / 2.6 kernels, so
http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.21/11-v4l2-api-2.4.21-rc4.diff.gz .

Now compile this with module support for
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C support"
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C bit-banging interfaces"
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C device interface"
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C /proc interfaces"
"Multimedia devices/Video For Linux"
"Multimedia devices/Video For Linux/BT848 Video For Linux"
Reboot with this kernel.

Then download http://bytesex.org/bttv/bttv-0.9.11.tar.gz and extract.
This is a newer version of bttv and already has the patches from the
dvb-kernel directory.  I had to change a Makefile line to
"KERNELRELEASE   := `uname -r`" and then "make" and "make install" from
this directory.

Finally go to your dvb-kernel directory.  Edit ./getlinks and add:
"for x in `find ../../bttv-0.9.11 -name "*.[h]"` ; do
        ln -vs $x `basename $x`
done"
to the end
$ cd build-2.4/
$ make clean && ./getlinks && make
$ ./insmod.sh load

The ./insmod.sh doesn't seem to load the bttv.o module so may not work.
I've included a bt8xx-load.sh shell script that I obtain from the mail
list but it may have the modules order incorrect.

Is that confusing enough for you?  I've done all that and still can't
get my driver to work. ;-)

By the way, this driver has run into trouble get into the 2.6 kernels.
If you could help that would be appreciated.  Explanation following:
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 16:32, Michael Hunold wrote:
> The problem is that there is a conceptual problem in getting this driver
> in. It needs a hackish patch for the bttv driver, so that it exports the
> i2c routines for our usage.
>
> Of course Gerd Knorr (bttv and video4linux maintainer) is refusing the
> patch because it stinks. 8-)
>
> So someone with a Nebula card and kernel programming knowledge needs to
> fix this the right way.

Paul

#!/bin/sh

#depmod -ae

case "$1" in

    start)
        echo -n -e "Inserting DVB modules into kernel"
        # Linux video
        modprobe videodev
        # bttv is required for bt878 and dvb-bt8xx
        modprobe bttv
        # core DVB
        modprobe dvb-core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0;
        #modprobe v4l1-compat
        #modprobe v4l2-common
        modprobe video-buf
        # Nebula DVB-T card
        modprobe nxt6000
        modprobe bt878
        modprobe dvb-bt8xx
        # TechnoTrend DVB-S card
        modprobe stv0299
        modprobe dvb-ttpci-budget
        echo
        ;;
    stop)
        echo -n -e "Removing DVB modules from kernel"
        # TechnoTrend DVB-S card
        rmmod dvb-ttpci-budget stv0299 saa7146
        # Nebula DVB-T card
        rmmod dvb-bt8xx bt878 nxt6000
        # core DVB
        rmmod dvb-core
        # bttv (required for bt878 and dvb-bt8xx)
        rmmod tuner bttv
        # Linux video
        rmmod videodev video-buf
        echo