[linux-dvb] Re: Setting up an STC compare event

Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:

> Can't remember how an STC event can be setup under V3 API so that a
> subtitle stream can be synchronised.  Do we use the DMX_GET_STC ioctl just
> to continuously read back the STC and compare it with a user-space value?
> What about for h/w that has dedicated compare logic? Can an IOCTL be setup
> to set the compare register in the h/w and then an async event be returned
> to user-space when the STC reaches the value programmed in the STC compare
> register?

I remember we've talked about that in our discussion of the V4 API, but
it was then undecided if and how we would add it.

Anyway, what we do with the V3 API for subtitles is DMX_GET_STC, and
then set up a timer in userspace (we use GLib's event loop for that).
Works fine and costs zero processing power, even without dedicated
hardware.

Johannes