[linux-dvb] Re: Differences in DVB-C and DVB-T

From: "Gavin Hamill" <gdh@acentral.co.uk>
> So it would seem that using a DVB-T card on a DVB-C network may require
> bypassing the COFDM section of the signal processing. I'm guessing there
> may also be an issue with voltage across the input provided by the cable
> company that would not exist on a standard rooftop aerial...

Simply put: NO, it is not possible to receive DVB-C with a DVB-T
demodulator and vice versa. Even if you _could_ disable the COFDM section
and the inner Viterbi FEC of a DVB-T demodulator (which you typically can
NOT do anyway), there'd still be the limited selection of supported
modulation types and especially symbol rates.

I would expect, though, that in the not-to-distant future there might be
"hybrid" demodulator chips which can receive both DVB-Cable and
DVB-Terrestrial. Internally, they could share only the ADC and the
remaining digital signal processing would be separated. Considering that
conventional analog TV sets were able to receive both terrestrial and
cable, customers would expect that future digital TV sets allow the same...
From a technical point of view, I don't think there would be any problem in
merging existing DVB-C and DVB-T cores. It might just be too expensive at
the moment - but building hybrid receivers with separate DVB-C and DVB-T
demodulators would be even more expensive, that's why I'd expect a demand
for hybrid demodulators to arise.

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach