[linux-dvb] How to determine PAL/NTSC

I'm currently trying to fix displaying DVD menus with VDR and the DVD
plugin when playing NTSC DVDs in letterbox mode (the highlight areas
in that case are often not displayed correctly).

I narrowed the problem down to cDvbSpuDecoder::ScaleYcoord() in VDR/dvbspu.c,
which scales coordinates and has to do this differently depending on whether
we're in PAL or NTSC mode. For PAL the additional offset is 72, for NTSC it
is 60 (see also http://groups.google.com/groups?q=spu+scale+letterbox&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=4lh42m%24ef4%40net.auckland.ac.nz&rnum=1).

In order to use the right offset dynamically I would need a way to determine
whether the currently displayed video on the DVB card is in PAL or NTSC mode.
Is there a way to get this information from the DVB driver?
So far I wasn't able to find one...

Klaus