[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge DEC2000-t (Germany) tuning question

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:59:59 +0100
Michael Loose <m.loose@arcor.de> wrote:

> Redhat9  Kernel 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 (planetccrma)
>

> I compiled/installed the  DVB stuff from linuxtv.org. (CVS DVB/dvb-kernel) and placed
> the firmware for the box (216.b2) in /etc/dvb (following the compiler warnings).
>
> output of dmesg is:
>
> hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.0-1, assigned address 2
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0xb48/0x1008) is not claimed by any active driver.
> usb.c: registered new driver TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC USB
> DVB: registering new adapter (DEC2000-t).
> DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC2000-t Frontend)
>
> so far, so good
>
> How can i tune this piece of artwork to do something useful and pass it's output to mplayer?
> (dvbtune comes with .conf -files for Australia and UK ?!)
>
> Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be hardly any information
> about how to get the dvb-t stuff up using a lowbudget solution (software decoding) in
> Germany - hey guys, i read about your success, would you please make a kid happy and share
> the secret? I can't wait to trash my Windblows-Partition :-)
>
> M.

Looks like you've just joined the mailing list, so you may have missed my post earlier. It should be relevant no matter where you are since you'll need to create your own channels.conf . There is a channels.conf-dvbt-berlin in linuxtv-dvb-1.0.1/apps/szap/ which you may find useful to edit or copy to ~/.tzap/channels.conf . Instead of trying 'scan' or 'dvbtune' use the tzap program.

Thanks to Alex Woods for this Driver!

Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Stefan

Since you have the modules compiled and running here is how to get make it do something useful:

______
>To actually use the device you'll need to create a channels.conf file. If like me you aren't in an area where someone has provided theirs, then you'll need to make one by hand, as the scan utility doesn't work with the driver yet, as I found out. If you need to create one you'll need the appropriate values for the channel name, frequency, transmission mode, guard interval, QAM, FEC, inversion, audio and video pid. Most of these values are the same so editing an old one is easiest. The values you need can be found by running the box to a tv and selecting the information from the setup menu (before starting the modules connected to a pc as this will put the box into a slave mode until you pull the power and reset it). Once you have your channels.conf you can store it in ~/.tzap/channels.conf and use the tzap utility.  This is in the 'apps/szap/' in the DVB CVS folder or  linuxtv-dvb-1.0.1 will probably work too. To view the picture you'll need to use ts2ps along with mplayer. This is where I had the mose trouble as this is found in libdvb from http://metzlerbros.org/dvb/index.html. This wouldn't compile under 2.6 since it has a dependency on linuxtv-dvb being installed and this doesn't like my 2.6 kernel. I compiled this under 2.4 and installed the binaries onto my 2.6 machine and it worked. I think all that is needed it to create a link from DVB/include/linux/dvb to /usr/include/linux/.
>
>This should have built two useful utilities ts2ps and ts2es.
>
>For radio
>e.g.
>tzap -r BBC-Radio1
>status 1f | signal 00ff | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>status 1f | signal 00ff | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>
>in a new terminal:
>
>cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | ts2es 6210 | mpg123 -
>
>where 6120 is the audio-pid
>
>For TV
>
>tzap -r BBC-ONE-SCOT
>status 1f | signal 00ff | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>
>again leave this running and in a new terminal:
>
>cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | ts2ps 201 202 | mplayer -
>
>where this time 201 is the video-pid and 202 is the audio_pid
>
>I've tried using xine too but with less success. Copy your channels.conf to ~/.xine/channels.conf Running xine with the gui you can click on dvb button and it should tune to the first channel in your conf file. There is a small N for navigation and clicking on the down button lets me scroll through the channels. I can only get video and it is always having buffering troubles with severe audio stutter. If anyone has advice on how to fix this, it would be much appreciated, but mplayer works perfectly as long as I'm not maxing out the CPU by compiling at the same time.

Stefan