[linux-dvb] Re: Speed of DVB audio decoding

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:34:30PM +0100, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Radovan Garabik wrote:
> >This is just a description of what I found out, maybe to help
> >others with similar problems...
> >My setup is PII 266 MHZ with Skystar2 (2.6B), which is about as
> >slow as you can get (but at least it has a good video card :-))
> >
> >Watching TV under Windows is aceptable, channels with better resolutions
> >(such as Canale 5, Italia 1, german channels on Hotbird) are jerky,
> >but watchable (but switching channels takes forever).
> >
> >First I tried to use mplayer, while low resolution channels were OK,
> >high resolutions were unwatchable. While experimenting with different
> >video and audio codecs, I accidentally found out that leaving sound out
> >makes the picture quite smooth. So I took a piece of audio and tried
> >various mp2 players:
> >mplayer (with no video) eats about 15% CPU
>
> I'm just curious, which audio codec in mplayer have you been using? Can
> please you try the different audio codecs and report the results?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. It was -ac mp3.
With -ac ffmp2, I got slightly worse results (+about 1% CPU time
needed). Mplayer is not compiled with libmad support, so I cannot
try -ac mad, but madplay takes about 10%

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |