[linux-dvb] Re: Naive question: DAB reception possible with FM-capable DTV card?

Moved the reply (argh, topposters).

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 08:25:03AM +0100, Sebastian Frei wrote:
> > Is a FM-frequency capable terrestrial DVB card also capable of
> > receiving DAB broadcasts? It seems at first glance that DAB is
> > broadcast in much the same format as DVB -- COFDM with QPSK or QAM
> > forward error correction. There's probably something I'm missing
> > though.
> >
> > Not having an FM capable card I can't actually try it.

> Unfortunately you cannot receive DAB broadcasts with your DVB card.
> But there are some other nice radio channels broadcasted via DVB.

This doesn't actually answer my question.  As I pointed out in my
original post, I can't try it anyway -- my DVB card is incapable of
receiving FM frequency broadcasts.

I've rooted around the web and read articles which talk about the
encodings used to broadcast DAB and DTV and they appear to be exactly
the same. ie, COFDM wit QPSK or QAM foward error correction.

But some DVB cards can receive FM frequency broadcasts (the Aussies
are interested in these, since some of their DTV broadcasts are
actually in the FM spectrum ranges). So, does anyone actually know of
a specific difference between DAB and DTV which makes the reception of
DAB impossible with an FM-capable DTV card?

cheers,

Phil