[linux-dvb] Re: Choosing the "best" DVB-S premium card

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 04:33, Michal Dobrzynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the apparent reluctance for anyone to answer my question could
> someone at least answer whether the rev1.5 card is unconditionally and
> absolutely better than the rev1.6 card (it seems that way from the
> specifications and descriptions).
>
> Also what are all the known problems with support for these cards under
> linux? Any limitations, bugs, instabilities, etc. None off this seems
> to be documented anywhere.

Michael,

I don't know how long you have been following this mailing list.
Recently there was a big long heated discussion with the dvb authors
stating that they do not like full featured DVB cards.  This may be why
you have not received an answer.

I am with you on this: at the moment (and I stress at the moment) full
featured cards would seem to be the only way to get:

1. Good TV out
2. CAM support

Until someone can describe how to do both with a budget card and TV out
on a graphics card I believe that a full featured card is the way to
go.  (Alas, such a card is beyond my budget...)

I would suggest you ask the vdr list about 1.5 vs 1.6  - I would have
thought that many people there would be able to answer your question.

(BTW: I use a dxr3 and get good output.  There are stability problems
though.  Mine is bt865 based)