[linux-dvb] Re: acpi sleep mode

Andreas Rosenberg <sonix2003@ctf-z.de> writes:

> > to nothing about that right now.  I can't test it.  On my box suspend
> > simply doesn't work, even S1 on a idle machine ...
>
> In my first mail about this (about a week ago), I was only asking if one should
> expect it to work.

If it works it is pure luck I'd say.  As far I know there is no
v4l/dvb driver support for this yet.

> But Linux and DVB (and several other multimedia projects) push the point of
> view towards the embedded area.

It would be very useful, no question.  Not only for embedded systems,
also for the people who take a barebone PC and build a linux-based vdr
system with that ...

> I'm a professional software developer for about 15 years now (although
> in a complete different area). And I know from my own experience:
> thing stay buggy, if users don't try to use features and report bugs and
> create the demand that it should work.

I expect that alot happens next year, when the distributors release
2.6 based versions and the end users start to switch over from 2.4, so
it becomes possible to ignore 2.4 and make the drivers _really_ 2.6
ready.  Right now most drivers must work on both 2.4 and 2.6, so using
2.6-only features requires a #ifdef mess, which doesn't exactly
simplify driver maintainance...

  Gerd

--
You have a new virus in /var/mail/kraxel