[linux-dvb] Re: video + net with Nexus

Hello,
I was wondering if all these patches you guys are working on (specially Emard) for a few weeks would fix my issue : I want to read mpegs from disk using the ntuxplayer application from Metzlerbros, and set up the dvb0_0 interface (with dvbnet for example) for downloading files. The last time I tried that, it crashed my kernel. It starts downloading for a few minutes, then crash. (kernel panic, blinking keyboard leds, etc...).

Is it saved TS which has MPEG and network IP component and when
you play it back, you want to watch mpeg and also download offline?
Or you want to play some independent video from disk and use network
online?
I want to download PS mpeg files through DVB/IP (data), store these video files on disk, and then use ntuxplayer to read these downloaded files with the Nexus's MPEG2 decoder chip. The board will be simultanously used for downloading AND reading video files at the same time. ntuxplayer will be following a playlist, and the video program must not be interrupted. So the download part will be running in the background.

if your nexus is dvb-s type of card then my patches are not of
much help, only effective for the module removal (try my latest
joint patch), However dvb-s still has some freeze issue, is not
very stable at replaying mpeg, or in general is unstable in large
bi-directional traffic between PC and dvb-s card.
I have tested the MPEG2 chip with ntuxplayer, and it's working pretty well actually. It has been running during the whole night... I came in this morning, it was still running over and over, no problem. I'll do more "marathon" testing during the next few days. It will run for the week end. I'll let you know if it's still running on monday.

The workqueue strategy seems not to fix all the stability in 2.4
(haven't tested 2.6 very thoroughly)
I saw freezeup yesterday on my supposeed-to-be-stable machine with
dvb-s and vdr. X window just froze, no blinking leds, kernel still responsive to network pings but otherwise frozen. Didn't catch any
oops... Workqueue congestion perhaps?
Im not running X. Only console. And Im not running VDR, only ntuxplayer. My setup looks pretty stable for now...

The true stability with the network is in the "Budget" mode cards.
This is very stable thing, received a many days of testing and no
crash.
Well, I need this with my Nexus. I wouldn't like to have a Nova for downloading packets, and a Nexus for just reading video (and not using the DVB-S part of it). It's like having 2 radios in your car. :)

Regards,
--
Alexandre CONRAD - TLV
Research & Development