[linux-dvb] Difference btw Binary Only Kernel Modules and Firmware

Just a philisophical question. Most of you will know that binary only kernel
modules are real evil. You just have to listen to Linus who keeps repeating
this. Now I ask myself what is difference between binary only kernel modules
and the binary only firmware in the DVB driver?

The following appear to be contradictions in terms:
Linux developers want to be able to examine every piece of critical code.
Software producers are looking for a way to protect their IP.

Can the firmware approach help to resolve this conflict? Or is it just
another name for the same old game? I am grateful for your comments.

Best regards
Egon