[linux-dvb] Re: 2.6.0 and firmware patches?

Hello Lars,

I'm using the dvb-kernel with 2.6.0-t9 (Debian, mostly woody; Nexus DVB-s
2.1) for a couple of days now.

I see a number of patches in the patches-2.6 directory. What are they for?
Could they improve stability?
Usually you use the "makelinks" script to -- well -- make links from the CVS of "dvb-kernel" into your kernel source. With this, you can compile the kernel with the most recent version of the dvb drivers from CVS.

The patches in "patches-2.6" sync the 2.6.0 release with the "dvb-kernel" CVS, ie. you get the most recent version of the drivers without the need to use the "makelinks" script to directly patch your driver. These patches are send to the kernel maintainer and become part of 2.6.1.

So it does not matter if you use 2.6.0 + makelinks or 2.6.0 + patches-2.6 in this case -- both are equally up to date.

> I see a crash per day or so and decided to uprade to final 2.6.0 and
> the most recent dvb-kernel.

You description is very vague: what crashes - the kernel or the av7110 driver? What makes you believe it's the av7110 driver? Do these crashes with your last 2.4 installation, too? Did you use "dvb-kernel" or "DVB" with that one?

Questions... ;-)

Lars
CU
Michael.