[linux-dvb] Re: New tuner chipset for SkyStar2 rev 2.68/B

> Sergio Moreira wrote:
> > Hmm, after some googling, it turns out the STV0297 is for Cable systems ???
> >
> > I've managed to write some code, with a lot of variables to be renamed
> > still. Now I'm at the point if I should continue, since my SS2 is
> > definately a satellite card, but Google tells me it's a cable chip, so I
> > might be reversing the wrong tuner ?
>
> The STV0297 is definitely a cable demodulator. Are you sure that this
> chip is used in the frontend of your card?
>
> Holger

I didn't have a way to breakpoint/debug the kernel driver, so I went to
patch the Windows driver in the "DetermineTunerType" function to change
the 10 different tuner tests to always test the same one. After 10
reboots, I found that the tuner with index ID of 9 worked, while all the
others didnt. I then took one of the frontend drivers and trimmed it to
only have the register+attach+detach. I tried to do the same I2C queries
as the Win driver did but nothing worked. I then noticed that
FLEXI2C_read in b2c2/skystar2.c does this:

    if ( ( msgs[0].addr != 0x0E) && ( msgs[0].addr != 0x61 ) )
    {
        up (&tmp->i2c_sem);

        return -EREMOTEIO;
    }

This was blocking all my attempts from working. When I commented this
out, it suddendly recognized the tuner as STV0299.

I'm not sure why the code above is the way it is, but STV0299 sets msg
[0].addr to 0x68, and msg[1].addr to 0x61. Shouldn't the code above
(also) test msg[1] for 0x61 ? (Why only the VP310 frontend?)

Now the tools in apps/ seem to be accessing /dev/.../frontend0 OK,
but I'm unable to tune/scan any channels yet. I'm not sure if it's
because it's using the wrong tuner, and it happens to "work" to some
degree, or because satellite configuration is screwed up here in Japan
(Took me days to get it to work at all in Windows). LNB voltages are
different, so is LNB frequency and so on.

Sergio