[linux-dvb] Re: tuning problems wih dvb-kernel

Robert Schlabbach wrote:
From: "Holger Waechtler" <holger@convergence.de>

Some of the VES1820 based cards have the I/Q wires between
PLL/Synthesizer and Demodulator swapped, so you don't know in advance
whether INVERSION_OFF is really INVERSION_OFF or not.

Then the driver should detect the hardware type and makre sure that
INVERSION_OFF really results in the entire card being "inversion neutral".
We've actually had this discussion before... :)
:) yes -- if you find a way to do this reliably, patches are welcome!

I don't think a "try&error" method at runtime is the proper solution to
this.
well, it worked pretty good in most cases...

If I remember correctly the Hauppauge cards designed by Technotrend
and the old Siemens cards have the exactly opposite setting.

I have both a Siemens-Cable card as well as a TechnoTrend budget DVB-C card
(0x1004, with ALPS TDBE2 tuner) and they both work the same - the INVQ bit
has to be SET for the card to be inversion neutral (the tuner spectrally
inverts the signal by using a PLL frequency ~36MHz above the target RF).

i.e. for those two cards:

INVERSION_OFF -> SET INVQ bit in CONF
INVERSION_ON  -> CLEAR INVQ bit in CONF
hmmm, don't remember off-hand which card revisions caused the troubles exactly...

Holger