[linux-dvb] Re: Linux DVB driver install howto

Hi Tim,

you might want to try the dvb-kernel CVS, especially for the skystar2 the driver in CVS has been much improved since the 1.0.1 release. see below:

Tim Hewett wrote:
Paul and Guido,

Thanks for you help, I found the kernel sources on the magazine
DVD that Mandrake 9.1 was installed from (saves a 35MB V.90
download...). I got the drivers built ok but when I try to install it
with make insmod I get an error. Looking at the output of dmesg
it seems that it has detected the SkyStar 2 card fine but then
bombs for some reason.

It looks like it is very nearly working, any hints as to how to
complete it would be gladly received.

Tim.

[...]
dvb-ttpci.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
make[1]: *** [insmod] Error 1
no problem - this driver is for the Technotrend PCI cards - if you don't have one you get 'No such Device'.

dmesg output:

Linux video capture interface: v1.00

Technisat SkyStar2 driver loading
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0b.0
skystar2.c: FlexCopII(rev.130) chip found
skystar2.c: MAC address = 00:d0:d7:01:16:8f:00:00
skystar2.c: key =
b2 00 00 00
00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00
DVB: registering new adapter (PCI device 13d0:2103 (Techsan Electronics Co Ltd)).
mt312_read: ret == -121
That's a problem. Maybe your card has the stv0299 frontend. Can you please try the dvb-kernel CVS driver? Please follow the checkout instructions on http://www.linuxtv.org:81/cvs/, check out module dvb-kernel and then follow the README. You need to load the dvb-core.o, the skystar2.o, the mt312.o and the stv0299.o modules after building the driver. Thenafter you can use all applications from the release tarball.

Holger