[linux-dvb] Re: DVB on mips/cobalt

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:24:28AM +0100, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Kieran Fulke wrote:
>
> >hi folks,
> >
> >thought some of you might be interested to hear i have a wintv nova-t
> >pci card running inside a cobalt qube2. (mips cpu, UK dvb-t)
> >
> >works nicely, and no problems at all. so i guess you can add
> >MIPS to the list of working targets.
> >

> wow, cool! do you use that thing as streaming server?
>
> Holger

I actually only did it to see if i could, and if it worked, but yeah,
the disk I/O on that machine doesnt seem to be high enough to record
directly to disk. any recordings (to disk) have about 600ms pauses every
second or so, even though the picture doesnt break up.
broadcasting the stream over multicast works just fine. i can 'dumprtp |
mplayer-cache 4096 -' and get perfect playback.

this was all done using the mips-cobalt 'port' of gentoo, kernel 2.4.25
and the linux-dvb 1.0.1 drivers, so perhaps with dvb-1.1.0 or kernel
2.6, it might be able to do DVB -> disk better. we'll see.

Kieran