[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> > Holger Waechtler wrote:
> >> calling the PES unpacking process a 'remuxing' is kind of flattered,
> >> not? Forcing everybody to misuse the lowlevel-API instead of highlevel
> >> access just because the av711x driver is broken...
> >

> > Well, Holger, you keep repeating over and over that the av7110 driver
> > is "broken" and that this is "ancient" hardware and how great "modern"
> > hardware ist - but IMHO you totally neglect that the av7110 still is
> > probably
> > the most widely used hardware! People have invested real money into these
> > full featured DVB cards and just don't want to throw them away.
> > Plus, there just isn't any reasonable alternative
> > And don't say "use a budget card and do replay over the graphics card"
> > - the
> > average user wants to insert *ONE* card into his PC and use that one for
> > recording AND replay. Besides: replay over graphics card means MPEG
> > decoding
> > in software, which in turn requires more CPU power... Also: are there any
> > budget cards already that have drivers that support CAMs? I have to
> > admit that
> > I don't know that.
> >
> > So, what about just fixing the av7110 driver?
>
> (nope, let's design cheap and cool hardware instead - evil things need
> to get changed, not worked around - ;)
> we'll keep you posted...

Does this mean convergence(?) will be producing a DVB-S/C/T PCI card that

- can deliver the full TS
- can do (PES-) MPEG decoding in hardware (the format VDR currently uses)
- supports CAMs through the LL interface
- has a fullscreen OSD with at least 256 colors
- has a builtin AC3 output port
- has A/V and RGB output (others?)
- does not require any firmware (or at least no "closed source FW")
- is _really_stable_
- did I forget anything?

If so, I'd buy 3 right away! ;-)

Klaus