[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

On Friday 05 March 2004 12:36, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Holger Waechtler wrote:
> > Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > > The problem is that the av7110 hardware does not support TS playback.
> > > The driver tries to work around this by remuxing the TS into PES and
> > > feeding PES to the hardware. IMHO this code should be dropped rather
> > > than attempted to fix. Remuxing should be done in user space. VDR
> > > does the right thing.
> >
> > calling the PES unpacking process a 'remuxing' is kind of flattered,
>
> Right, it is actually demuxing and PES packaging.
>
> > not? Forcing everybody to misuse the lowlevel-API instead of highlevel
> > access just because the av711x driver is broken has the unlovely side
> > effect that on well-designed hardware that can eat PS and TS directly
> > the code will still do all the protocol handling and bit-twiddling on
> > the host processor, the dedicated hardware will run idle.
>
> I don't know what you mean. Usually you advocate tiny drivers that
> just make the capabilites of the hardware available to userspace.
>
> Sure, it would be cool if VDR would be changed so it supports
> other hardware just as good as the av7110 cards. But IMHO VDR
> should use PES playback on av7110 cards, and TS playback on hardware
> that support it. Doing TS->PES conversion in the driver is wrong.
>
> > The Avia processor and all modern STB CPUs can process multiplexed
> > streams directly.
>
> Some of the cheaper variants of "modern" STB chips don't process
> TS from RAM, just from the frontend inputs.
>

> Johannes

Ok i am able to understand this situation and all of the problems.

Please take the next sentences as my thinkin of the whole situation :)

why is there a need for any kind of a dvb api when you have to implement driver missing features in your software?

on my point of view it looks like - if my application runs  e.g. on a DBOX2/Dreambox/Whatever Linux running STB do nothing, if it runs on a PC
check for driver version / hardware revision ect. and implemented hardware dependend stuff into the application.

In this special case an API is a kind of software stuff to simplify coding and that a developer of an application must have understanding in DVB / Linux but not Driver Coding
So if you started someday somehow a development of TS Playback capabilities via the dvr device without having real support for this on the hardware side - you should fix this.
Otherwise take this feature away, and be happy with postings and claims over much applications no longer working.

Am i totally wrong ? :)

cu
mws