[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

Marcus Metzler wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach writes:
>  >
>  > The problem is not only with nonblocking, but there are also
>  > locking bugs between video and demux device access. Just try
>  > to write TS to dvr and then VIDEO_SLOWMOTION or VIDEO_FREEZE
>  > -> deadlock.
>
> It`s the same cause. The dvr device driver code and maybe also the API
> has to be changed a lot to make that work properly. I am just saying
> that it has nothing to do with the conversion as such. There is no
> remuxing going on (at the most you can call it demuxing). The
> conversion just cuts the TS in pieces to send it over the debi port.

"it is actually demuxing and PES packaging" is what I said two mails ago.

I acknowledge that the conversion as such is not the problem.
IMHO the problem is the implementation of the conversion.

I fail to see why an API change would be necessary to fix
this. Well, maybe the problem would be simplified if one could
write TS to the video device, but I think the root of the
problem is in the implementation of av7110_ipack_instant_repack(),
plus some locking bugs.

My understanding of this code is very limited, but what I think
is should do is
- accept TS packets
- write PES packets to the same ring buffer that would be used
  for PES playback
so that the remainder of the driver wouldn't have to know the difference
between TS and PES playback. I don't see the reason why the
TS -> PES conversion cannot be made to work in non-blocking mode.

(Another TS playback issue which indeed cannot be solved without
API change is section filtering. But that's not what this
discussion is about.)

Johannes