[linux-dvb] Re: Full featured card summary

Hi,

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 23:46, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> I suppose its a matter of how tolerant we want to be of userspace programs.. I
> mean, we already turn OFF the LNB power automatically, why not turn it on as
> well?

I don't care much, but please don't change the voltage setting in the
inittab, because it breaks support for the ves1893 and ves1993 on the
other (non-pci) boards, where the gpio pins toggled by this register
have a different meaning.

If you decide to set the voltage of all frontends to 13V at open(), then
checking for O_RDWR should be sufficient to decide, because only one
writer is allowed.

However, I don't like that idea. It makes it impossible to stay at 0V,
when the frontend is connected to a loop through output of another
receiver, which shall not be disturbed. Userspace apps can choose the
desired voltage anyway after opening the device.

Regards,
Andreas