[linux-dvb] Re: Budget IR remote clash

From: "Ed Wildgoose" <lists@wildgooses.com>
> Just from eyeballing the code I suspect that this line:
> unsigned int code = budget_debiread4(saa, DEBINOSWAP, 0x1234, 2) >> 8;
>
> ...in msp430_ir_interrupt is the one responsible for throwing away the
> extra useful bits.  Presumably masking it off instead of simply loosing
> the bits will fix the issue.

That's incorrect. There _are_ only 8 bits delivered by the MSP430, and
there is no way to get at any more information.

Explanation: The 16-bit DEBI bus on the budget cards is used for two
things - Common Interface and IR. The Common Interface only uses 8 bit
transfers. The MSP430 is simply wired to the upper 8 data lines of the DEBI
and does not care about the address. When you do a 16-bit DEBI read, the
upper 8 bits will come from the MSP430, while the lower 8 bits come from
the Common Interface.

> Before I dive in, has anyone looked into this, and are there any
> pitfalls to beware of?

There's nothing more to the IR than what's already there: 8 data bits and
GPIO3 to trigger an interrupt when IR data has been received - that's it.
If you want to do something beyond that, you could try reading the MSP430's
code via that JTAG connector on the board, disassembling and modifying it
and reprogramming the MSP430... :-)

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach