[linux-dvb] Re: stability problems + closing and re-opening thefrontend

Valsecchi Patrick wrote:

Hi,

In my kind of application (monitoring) I don't really care if I loose some packets. Would it be possible to reset the firmware when that happens? That's what I wanted to try to do by closing the firmware and re-opening it.
Guido Fiala suggested over at the vdr mailinglist initializing the frontend by calling the following every couple seconds helps the situation somewhat:
ves1x93_init (i2c);

The reference for this is the following post:

Maybe when can trigger that reset when the "waiting for command idle" problem appears. Then send back the tune command. That way, we recover the card without manual operations and without the user level to notice it (maybe a slower tune, though). Or, if you guys think it's too radical, maybe add a reset ioctl. That way, the user level can solve the problem by itself.
Have a look at the whole thread for the reference above:

There's quite some discussion on how to work around this.

I'll try to find a "budget" card. Seems like those are a bit more stable, isn't it?
It might be worth it if you can try to reproduce this on a 0.9.4 driver (the api is slighly different): http://www.linuxtv.org/download/dvb/old/siemens_dvb-0.9.4.tar.gz
If not - then there's a good chance this could be fixed.

Later full featured cards (i.e. some rev 1.5, all of rev 1.6 and 2.x) seem stable even with the newer drivers if I'm not mistaken. You appear to have a revision 1.3 full featured card (driver promts this when the modules are loaded).

- Gregor