[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel CVS branched for Linux 2.4

Thomas Koch wrote:

> Am 21.04.2004 um 13:31 schrieb Johannes Stezenbach:
>
> >>The dvb-kernel thing (in my opinion) ist far away from the quality of
> >>the old 2.4 "DVB" driver (stability, liveview, diseqc).
> >Could you please be more specific? If we don't know what
> >your problems are with dvb-kernel, we cannot address them.
>
> Unfortunately i think i can't be specific enough. I have disortions
> (glitches, klötzchen?) on live view and some stability problems
> (computer is freezing without any message). With one card (TT Rev. 1.3)
> the live signal ist interrupted with a black screen. If i record a
> stream with this card the resulting recording is fine. This affect only
> live view. The same card works with Kernel 2.4.x and the latest DVB
> Tree flawlessly.

Hm, I never heard of that kind of problem. With some versions of
the frontend code I had problems during live view with my
DVB-C cards, but they are fixed now. Also, since you say
recordings are OK the frontend cannot be the problem.

How often do the glitches happen? On which
satellites/tranponders/services?

> Other users report various diseqc problems wich i can't reproduce
> because i have any diseqc equipment.

There are problems for the ves1x93 frontend, where the DiSEqC signals
are generated in the av7110 firmware. The timing is too inaccurate,
especially with hw_sections=1. The default for hw_sections is now 0
anyway, because the firmware does not perform crc checks.

> As i said, from my point of view the latest changes are quite
> confusing. Two (or three with API v4) trees with multiple branches for
> several Kernels... DVB, dvb-kernel, HEAD, REHEAD... sync 2.4 and 2.6,
> now an own 2.4 branch within dvb-kernel side by side with the DVB
> tree...

Well, I have to admit the linuxtv.org website is a mess :-(
But I'm sure it was announce on the list that "DVB" CVS is dead,
and only dvb-kernel will be maintained.

Regards,
Johannes