[linux-dvb] Re: SkyStar2 Rev. 2.6C & hyperthreading

Hi,

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

>> it seems, that current (CVS) dvb-kernel (2.6/2.4) drivers work properly over several hours, if hyperthreading is disabled (SMP kernel reports a single CPU).
>>
>> But with hyperthreading enabled, it happens quickly, that my system freezes. The tests I've done so far showed, that it is necessary to have the card provide a stream. Just loading the drivers but not accessing the dev files will not lead to a freeze (usually I use this card with VDR).
>>
>> How can I assist in fixing this issue?
>
> I don't know much about the SkyStar2 drver, but generally you first try
> if SysRq still work. If yes, SysRq-T might give you some hint where
> the driver hangs (for 2.4 you will have to pipe the output through
> ksymoops to make it readable). SysRq-S might help to get the output
> into your log files.

Although enabled via

echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

I couldn't see any special behaviour when pressing "Alt+SysRq".

> You could also try the NMI-oopser to debug the lockups. Try to
> append nmi_watchdog=2 (2 should work for P4, or try 1) to your
> kernel command line. See linux/Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt.

I've checked /proc/interrupts for NMI and it was not zero at least for CPU 0, so maybe it works.

Is the following screenshot of the lockup helpful?

http://home.vr-web.de/~rnissl/dvb/p5033564.jpg

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl