[linux-dvb] Re: [ANNOUNCE] SysFS-Support Pre2

Christian Gmeiner wrote:

> this is the new release of sysfs support for dvb-drivers. Please test
> it and wirte back comments, patches,....  Oh and also devfs user
> should test this patch, becaue this patch uses an abstract interface
> for all /dev-filesystems.
>
> For sysfs users:
>
> Add this to your udev.rules:
>
> # dvb devices
> SYSFS{adap}="adapter*",      NAME="dvb/adapter%n/%k"

I haven't had time to actually try the patch. Anyway:

How does the sysfs hierarchy look like? IIRC sysfs does not
directly support "adapterN" subdirectories. Michael and Greg KH
briefly discussed a possible solution on lkml, an el cheapo
variant would use names like "videoM.N". What you do in
dvb_sysfs_register_device() does not allow adapters with more
than one frontend or decoder.

+static void dvb_class_release(struct class_device *cd)
+{
+       printk ("DVB: dvb_class_release()\n");
+}

This one is a serious problem, and I believe the patch as it stands
(other problems aside) would not be accepted into the kernel.
IMHO the DVB drivers must be restructured so that the
.release callbacks can do the work which they are designed for.

Regards,
Johannes