[linux-dvb] Re: "Video datastream broken" the legend continues...

Hermann Gausterer wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 17:40, Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
>
>>The simplest explanation would be a bad signal quality. Did you try this
>>test without VDR, for example with szap -i?
>

> yes, did this too .. there was no noticeable difference ...
> i do not think it is a bad signal problem, i haver never seen any value
> for BER or UNC .. they are always 0 or FFFF.. and nothing in between
> .. and there are no periodically artifacts on the screen, it stays black
> for ~200 ms and then the picture is back ..
>
> i know how bad signal looks like (from bad weather conditions ..)
>

>>When I do your test, I get some status changes during tuning, but
>>afterwards the status is stable. This holds for both tuning by VDR and
>>manual tuning with szap.
>

> have you tried with my szap utility?

Yes, I have. I see some status changes when I tune to another channel,
thereafter the status remains stable.

> i tried today with my old setup (kernel 2.4.20, driver 1.1 .. )
> it shows the same status-changes as 2.6.7... maybe this fast checking
> is not intended by the hardware
>
> to the problem with the "first recording fails":
> i remember there was the syslogmessage
> "no usefull date seen in the first xx Mb" of the stream ....

I got no data at all. VDR times out and then gives the "video data
stream broken" message.

BTW: Do you have any problems with a one DVB board setup? I have only
problems with my 2 board setup (Nexus-s and Skystar2). I had the Nexus-s
alone running rock stable for more than 1.5 years, so my problem seems
to be related to the Skystar2 board/driver.

There seems to be more than one reason for the "video data stream
broken" error, which makes the debugging so difficult.

> this does mean that there is data received, but it is out of sync or miss
> aligned ... maybe it would be a good idea for checking if the demux is
> an sync ... how can this be done?
>
> hermann

Home | Main Index | Thread Index