[linux-dvb] Re: Progress on specifications for Twinhan/KWorld/CTS DVB-T USB Box

Patrick Boettcher wrote:

> DiBCom also provides a firmware for this device. Is it useful to put it in
> a .h file and abandon the firmware_class usage in the usb-driver? What
> does the kernel policy says about it?

Kernel policy says that all firmware must be removed from the kernel.
Some Distributions seem to be more relaxed about this, but e.g.
Debian will patch these out of their kernel in the future.

> I mean including the firmware into the kernel would make the usage of the
> device much easier. Another option instead of extracting the firmware from
> the windows driver file would be to put the firmware somewhere for free
> download (like dvb-ttpci). This is quite easy and the kernel is not
> being bloated.

Once the firmware_loader method is well established this will not
be much hassle for ordinary users. I see no downside to using it.

> Today Twinhan Austria was contacting me. They told me, that they are in
> contact with convergence and that they are offering PCI devices to
> them, to support driver development for Linux.
> Additionally Twinhan Austria told me, that convergence offered to write
> drivers for the usb devices too. Is that correct, how far is this part? I
> mean this is exactly what wanted to do and to avoid overlapping I'm asking
> this.

I can't comment on this now, but if we would have or work on a public
driver for one of their cards we'd let you know.

> With the help of tolerant and interested vendors a new frontend driver is
> on its way and with it the support of at least three usb devices for
> linux. Nice, isn't it?

Indeed. Are they also opening specs for the CI parts of their PCI cards?

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index