[linux-dvb] Re: 2.6.7 kernel and Device Major Numbers

Brian McKerr wrote:

> I've just installed my PVR with a fresh copy of Fedora Core 2 (kernel
> 2.6.5) and upgraded the kernel to the latest 2.6.7.  Now I have a
> problem using dvbstream and  I get the following error;
>
> FRONTEND DEVICE: : No such device or address
> FE_GET_INFO: : Bad file descriptor
>

> it would appear to be related to the major device numbers for my DVB
> card (nebula). I modified the MAKDEV script to create the devices as
> major 212 , as per the announcement, however when I load up my modules I
> still get major number 250 for DVB in /proc/devices;

So your problem has nothing to do with the major number switch.
Try to load the necessary modules by hand, and check the
kernel messages for problems (compare to those from 2.6.5).

It's not impossible that the nebula driver is broken, or maybe a
change in the bt8xx driver requires changed module parameters.

HTH,
Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index