[linux-dvb] Re: DVB cards in a Server, Buffer sizes

Juergen Pfennig writes:
 > On Friday 03 September 2004 22:35, Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > > Considering how this ioctl is currently implemented for the dvr device
 > > this question is kind of moot.
 >
 > Hi, sorry but I can't follow your argumentation. I really mean what I say. If
 > you run the DVB Drivers under very high system load the read(demux,...)
 > occasionally returns an error (I think it is EOVERFLOW). I would really like
 > to know if such overflows can be avoided using larger buffers for the driver.
 > On the application side I do use a large ring-buffer and an extra IO thread.
 >
 > Yours Jürgen
 >
 > P.S. are you unhappy with the current drivers? I have no choice for the 2.6

This has nothing to do with being happy or unhappy about kernel
versions, driver versions or anything else. The DMX_SET_BUFFER_SIZE
call for the dvr device just does not do anything!!!
So, tweaking settings in szap can only have psychological effects ...

 > Kernel - I already had difficulties to migrate your 1.1.7 drivers to the
 > 2.4.19 and later kernels (changes in i2c). You might be insterrested to know
 > that a lot of people still load the patched 1.1.7 drivers from my web-site
 > (about 10 per week). J.

OK, I'll put something more recent on our page when I have the time.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index