[linux-dvb] Re: DVB cards in a Server, Buffer sizes

Christophe Massiot wrote:

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004, Holger Waechtler wrote:

As you can see the s/t/c-zap family of programs sets a buffer size of 64kByte on the demux device. This is not very much. Even a workstation can be (disk-io) busy for a few seconds - not to mention a server. I do not want to discuss the problem of missing (disk-)io priorities in the kernel, but my question simply is:

IS IT RECOMMENDED AND SAFE TO USE A LARGER BUFFER?

I would feel better to tell the driver to grab 512 kByte of precious kernel memory. What do you think?

you can do so if you want, that's the intention of this ioctl(). But is it really needed? Our experiences showed that these values are usually ok for normal environments.

What can be the cause of the EOVERFLOW error then ? I'm experiencing it
at least once a day on my machines, too. Is it in any way related to
a buffer size ?

Ralph is right, fixing this ioctl for the dvr device is an long outstanding TODO -- currently it only resizes the buffers for the demux device, I forgot this. Right now the buffer size is hardcoded in linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.h:

#define DVR_BUFFER_SIZE (10*188*1024)

You can try if increasing this solves your problem -- properly implementing the SET_BUFFER_SIZE ioctl would be the better solution on the log term. Any volunteers?

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index