[linux-dvb] Re: PID's in FF and Budget cards

Hi,

At 12:46 9/09/04 +0200, Jörg Knitter wrote:

>as I don´t understand the technical details on this patch, two little
>questions:
>- Does this hardware modification have any negative impact, or to ask more
>precisely, does hardware decoding, TV-out etc. work as usual

If the hardware modification is done correctly [1] all standar functions
of the card will continue working as previously; now, only there is a
new path that allow the capture of the full TS, if enabled in software.

[1] Ie, without cause "shortcircuits" between the pins of the SAA7146 or
    the tuner (when soldering the patch_adapter PCB) and without cause
    electrostatic faillures on the card (don't following the handling
    and grounding precautions of the work_area, body, solder, etc), etc.

>... (I think so,
>otherwise someone wouldn´t have said that he has seen it on a Nexus 2.2)?

I don't remember this post :-(, but on the Nexus 2.2 the hardware
modification should be more easy, being enought with one wire connecting
two pins of the SAAA7146 (instead of 12, which need of an adapter).

Anyway, I had it working (on a DVB-s 1.3); also, Emard did himself this
modification, previous to write the DVB-Kernel 'budget-patch.c' module.

>- Do I still need to patch the drivers or is a hardware modificated Nexus
>automatically detected with latest CVS drivers?

For my work I patched the DVB drivers, but using DVB-kernel sould be
enought with compile in the kernel (or load) the budget-patch.c module.
Note that I don't have tested this way and anyone interested should read
the many posts that Emard wrote about it :-).

Best regards:
--
Roberto Deza Asensio
Universidad de Navarra