[linux-dvb] Re: Cooling required for SykStar2 ?

On Thu September 9 2004 17:36, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:53:46 +0200
>
> Martin Emrich <emme@emmes-world.de> wrote:
> > Today, I got my Technisat SkyStar 2 Card. I heard rumors that the
> > receiver circuitry gets very hot.
>
> I heard these rumours too, but I'm not sure if the problem is only there
> for old cards (missing heatsink?) or for specific versions (2.3p only?).
>
> There are people out there applying creative cooling solutions to the card,
> for example:
>   http://scaistar.altervista.org/cooling/cooling.htm
>
> I would like to know from others on this list something accurate about
> this issue.

		Most of the cards i have seen becomes very hot, to be precise the tuner.
I don't know why the tuner gets heated up so much, it is all SMD's (LG tuner).
Even the Alps tuner in that case.

> The Skystar2 has 3 main components:
> 1) the tuner (analog multiplier and filter), in the metallic shield
> 2) the demodulator (e.g. mt312), a small chip
> 3) the demultiplexer/PCI device (b2c2 chip), the big chip
>
> On my board (2.3p) it seems that 3) has no heatsink and doesn't get very
> hot, while 2) has a heatsink.
>
> Are there any boards with no heatsink on 2) ?
> Maybe the overheating affects 1) ?

		I have been running 3 cards in a box running for several weeks altogether.
Had no trouble at all regarding overheating.

> It would be nice to know.
>
> BTW, what kind of symptoms does the board manifest when overheating
> occurs?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index