[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] Re: Re: Problems switching to dvb-kernel

On Friday 10 September 2004 16:19, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
[snip]
> > I've attached a tarball with some changes that should fix this msleep
> > issue on kernel version < 2.6.7. It will only fix build-2.6, but I belive
> > that is acceptable, hmm?
> >
> > Should there be any other compatability problems exept for this msleep
> > thingy, feel free to yell :)
> >
> > I've not bothered to test it beyond compilation, because I don't want to
> > downgrade the kernel in my server box.
>
> Thanks a lot. With this patch applied I am able to compile the DVB driver
> even with kernel 2.6.5 :-)
> Please check it into the CVS, so that a freshly fetched CVS driver version
> will compile fine.

I'd like to give the other maintainers a voice in this, as they might not have
noticed this patch. Hence the CC to linux-dvb; if nobody has abjections
against the method used in the patch I'll commit.

> I even managed to compile the driver on a machine that is actually running
> kernel 2.4.20, because that's a much faster machine, which I will not (yet)
> update to kernel 2.6. I'll post a separate message on the driver ML with
> a summary of what it takes to "cross compile" the driver.

I noticed your post about 'cross compiling' the dvb drivers on the linux-dvb
mailing list, but I'm a bit stumped that you had to do so much considering
the great benefits of the kbuild system of 2.6. As an example I'll write up a
quick summary of what I do:

1. Make sure that you have a kernel source with the correct configuration of
your current kernel somewhere.
2. Replace the line in build-2.6/Makefile that says
KERNELSRCDIR := /lib/modules/$(KERNELRELEASE)/build
KERNELSRCDIR := /where/ever/your/current/kernel/on/this/or/another/box/is
3. Compile as many versions of your driver(s) (usually this, or similar
approaches, works with other drivers too)

I use this to compile both kernel and drivers for a epia m10k on a dual athlon
mp :)

> However, the latest greatest dvb-kernel driver still has the dropout
> problem every few seconds, so I guess I'll need to find out what I did in
> the old DVB driver to fix (or at least work around) this, and see whether
> somebody has removed that fix/workaround in dvb-kernel...

Dunno about this though... :|

Kenneth

Home | Main Index | Thread Index