[linux-dvb] Re: CX88 i2c issue w/ DVB tuners

On Sunday 12 September 2004 16:23, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> > > Not registering to the i2c core and calling the i2c read/write functions
> > > directly solves this. You just need to check that the card mutex is hold
> > > by the read/write functions.
> >
> > So you're suggesting using the i2c_adapter structure, but not registering
> > it with the kernel? Gah, I wish I'd understood thats what you meant two
> > days ago!
>
> Will this not cause problems with devices like the cx88 though - cards using
> it can have other non-DVB i2c drivers which are registered with the kernel
> i2c. I doubt they will work particularly well if they were given an
> "unofficial" i2c_adapter.
>
> In that case, it would have to be registered, in which case autoprobing is
> still a problem, hence why I am trying to fix autoprobing.

I still don't see why this can't be solved in the dvb-drivers. The adapter
itself can reject i2c-devices known to conflict with frontends in it's
client_register function, or reject i2c-devices known not to exists on a
particular adapter, hmm?

This is the problem, right, or am I still far out? :)

Kenneth

Home | Main Index | Thread Index