[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

Michael Hunold <hunold-ml@web.de> writes:

> - add a probe_this_i2c_id_on_this_i2c_bus() function to i2c-core

> To get the configuration out of the frontend driver:
> - PLL functions are implemented by the driver, not the frontend and are
> provided when FE_REGISTER is called.
> - when PLL access is necessary, functions from the driver are called
> - same goes for other stuff like voltage, symbolrate, inversion and
> other settings

Hmm, how about adding a ->command() style callback to i2c_adapter?
With that we can:

  * let the frontend pull config information from the driver, i.e.
    instead of a i2c_driver->command(SET_FOO) we'll use
    i2c_adapter->command(GET_FOO).  Main difference is that the pull
    approach allows the frontend driver to fetch config info in the
    i2c_driver->adapter_attach() callback, _before_ doing the actual
    probing and device registering.

  * allows the frontend ask the driver for certain stuff like setting
    the PLL.

Comments?

  Gerd

--