[linux-dvb] Re: List of Frontends/PLLs used by DVB devices

On Sat September 18 2004 3:13 pm, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > These satellite cards feature an LG tuner, with SL1925 + STV0299B + TSA
> > 5059T in a metallic tuner. these cards have their initialization routines
> > for the respective frontends in the ASIC itself. The frontend DVB that
> > get loaded are bt878, dst.
> >
> >  Twinhan VP-1020 (DST MOT) (blue board)  bt878, dst
> >  Twinhan VP-1020 A (DST 03T) (red board)  bt878, dst
> >  Twinhan VP-1030 (DST-CI)(red board with CI) bt878, dst
> >    ?? DST-MCI  ??    bt878, dst
> >
> > These terrestrial/cable cards, i don't have but they also behave the same
> > way, ie all the initialization is in the ASIC
> >
> >  DCT-NEW
> >  DTTNXT
> >  DTTDIG
> >  DCT-CI
>
> Ah cool - so we don't really need to care about the frontend hardware
> details for tinwhan cards - its all done by dst.c/the ASIC, nice.

		It is cool as long as the firmware in the ASIC is perfect. There could be
cases where the code in the ASIC does not handle certain cases, since the
manufacturer is always in a hurry to get the product into the market,
resulting in unstable hardware in certain conditions.

> Does you know if the dibusb/vp7041 TwinHan cards are like this as well?

		The Twinhan hardware, i believe what i have seen the design is the same. The
frontend coupled to a proprietary ASIC, and that ASIC is connected to the
appropriate bus through another interface chip.

		Johanson has a terrestrial card, maybe he could explain about the
Terrestrial cards ?

		But it is always better to make sure about the USB based device. I don't
have the hardware, but if someone still doesn't come back with an answer, i
can find it out for you from the manufacturer itself.

Regards,
Manu

Home | Main Index | Thread Index