[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

On Wednesday 22 Sep 2004 16:06, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 Sep 2004 15:41, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > > This is similar to the proposal that Holger and I suggested
> >
> > Yep, is somewhat simliar.
> >
> > > - we just took it
> > > a step further and removed the frontend dependencies on kernel i2c
> > > altogether.
> >
> > No way, I'd like to veto that.
> >
> > > The advantages of removing kernel i2c from the frontends
> > > altogether  weree
> > >
> > > * It makes it easier for people to reuse the frontends in places where
> > > kernel i2c is not usable
> >
> > ... and makes it harder for people which use kernel i2c anyway for other
> > reasons.
> >
> > > - does this actually occur though?
> >
> > Good question.  Before trying to solve a problem you should better
> > verify there actually is one ;)
> >
> > > * It also removes any trace of autoprobing problems since they're not
> > > kernel i2c_drivers.
> >
> > .class will do that just fine as well.  If the dvb subsystem stops doing
> > autoprobing itself and .class prevents any non-dvb i2c modules playing
> > with the i2c bus on dvb cards everything is fine.
>
> OK, this plan sounds good to me.

Oh - I take it this doesn't preclude having the PLL code in the adapters - I
did like that. You'd just pass two function calls init_pll() and set_pll() as
part of the initialisation structure.

The reason you need both is because some tuners need "things" disabled at
startup (see tda1004x.c/tdm1316).

Home | Main Index | Thread Index