[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

Wolfgang Wegner wrote:

Hi,
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:50:25AM +0200, Michael Hunold wrote:

The easier way is to use the idea of Andrew and Holger and put the demod drivers into some sort of library and remove kernel i2c completely. The main question is, if a kernel i2c demod driver can be useful for others (ie. if you want to solder a demod to your parallel port i2c interface)

It would still be possible, the code becomes even more portable because there are no dependencies to a linux-specific API left. BSD-, MacOS-X-, and even open-source windows are easy to create because all "driver logic" is seperated from the OS specific stuff in the driver libraries. OS-specific registration is located in the card driver and the dvb-core module.

When working on the "commercial" tuner driver, i found it extremely
convenient to hook up a new frontend (NIM: RF + power in, TS out and
control via I2C) to my parallel port i2c adapter, hack the driver and
then simply dropping this driver into the regular application. All
i needed was a very small wrapper to convert the linux kernel-i2c API
to the i2c api used there, and a "control application" to set channel
and read the status.
Right now i am trying to add a DVB-T frontend to an old Siemens DVB-C
board. Here it would also come handy for me. ;-)

I agree that the latter is not relevant, but the former might be
nice for companys willing to adopt (parts of) linux-dvb for a
commercial set-top-box development.

Please respect the licenses, most of these drivers are GPL.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index