[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

Michael Hunold wrote:

The last question is (after we have converted the stv0299 frontend driver to the plain demod driver) if we want to keep it as a real kernel i2c device.

In that case, we need to revamp kernel i2c to have separate busses with a well-known functional interface between clients and adapters. Please see my other mail for details.

This work can be very useful for other parts of the kernel, too, where currently a type-safe interface is missing. The lm-sensors team basically has the same problem, that they don't have any interface between the mainboard sm-busses and the thermal sensors, so they can share h/w dependent informations. The need to probe all settings that might be specific to the hardware.

They can easily reuse our approach, it is general enough to work in their environment, too. It would even support 1-wire busses like they are used for mobile phone battery pack fuel gauges and thermals. PDA temperature control chips are often controlled by SPI.

So they get support for both new protocols for free and can simplify their code by remove their probing code.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index