[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

> > stripped-down frontend drivers are a few 100bytes ... 2.5kB which is
> > kind of tiny compared to the i2c core. Most card drivers will get linked
> > together with less than 3 frontend drivers.
>
> I need a copy of your compiler, as it has an extremely effective size
> optimizer :) Mine comes out as ~160kb without ksyms and with size opt.

It's actually somewhere inbetween.  lsmod shows the code size of the
loaded modules:

ves1x93                 8536  0
tda1004x               16708  0
stv0299                16520  0
sp887x                  8772  0
nxt6000                 9156  0
mt352                  10884  0
mt312                   9796  0
grundig_29504_491       7044  0
grundig_29504_401       9352  0
dib3000mb              12736  0
cx24110                 9944  0
cx22702                10372  0
alps_tdmb7              7620  0
alps_tdlb7              8716  0

That is between 2 and 5 pages per module, maybe it goes down a bit with
the cleanups, but probably not much.  i2c size to compare with:

i2c_algo_bit            8648
i2c_core               20760

6 pages, not that bad after all.  Plus 3 pages bit-bang for bttv + cx88
based stuff, but that doesn't matter that much as it isn't for embedded.

>           If you don't know what tuner module is soldered on your
>           DVB adapter simply enable all supported frontends, the
>           right one will get autodetected.
>
> If the user is so stupid that he/she does not follow the help when he/she has
> no clue, the user deserves to have problems when compiling their own kernel.

That isn't true right now.  We actually have two frontends which sitting
on the very same i2c address.  Build a kernel with alps_tdmb7 + cx22702
enabled frontends.  Then load cx88-dvb and watch the kernel explode ;)

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;

Home | Main Index | Thread Index