[linux-dvb] Re: How to disable kernel logging?

Hi all,

the silence I received after my request of a few days ago forced
me to dig a bit more into the issue, and I now have found the
cause and an elegant fix for the problem.

Quite frankly, I am surprised that nobody worked to solve this
annoying issue before!  :-)

The problem lies in dvb_net.c:

#if 1
#define dprintk(x...) printk(x)
#else
#define dprintk(x...)
#endif

Kind of a non-option to turn off debugging, ain't it?  :-)

I then decided to add a new option to dvb-core, with similar
syntax to the other ones, dvb_net_debug which is OFF by default.

Here are the relevant diff lines for dvb_net.c:

55c55,59
< static int dvb_net_debug = 0;
---
> #if 1
> #define dprintk(x...) printk(x)
> #else
> #define dprintk(x...)
> #endif
57d60
< #define dprintk(x...) if (dvb_net_debug) printk(x)
1221,1223d1223
< MODULE_PARM(dvb_net_debug,"i");
<
< MODULE_PARM_DESC(dvb_net_debug, "enable verbose debug
messages");

Let me know if this works for you, it sure does here on my
machine.  Finally a nice and clean kernel logging with dmesg!

Bye, Luca

--- Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> been a user of the DVB components in Linux for a while, mostly
> for data downloading, and things are pretty much stable since
> quite a few months.
>
> I am running the 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 kernel modules on a Gentoo
> installation, on one system I have an Hauppauge WinTV-Nova,
> and
> on a second system I have a Skystar2 2.6C.
>
> My issue is related to logging, since I would like to be able
> get rid of the log messages that are showing up on the kernel
> log output, shown with the dmesg command.
>
> My dmesg is flooded with these kind of messages all the time:
>
> dvb_net_feed_start: set multi_secfilter[0]
> dvb0_2: filter mac=01 00 5e 5f de 15
> dvb0_2: filter mask=ff ff ff ff ff ff
> dvb_net_feed_start: set multi_secfilter[1]
> dvb0_2: filter mac=01 00 5e 00 00 01
> dvb0_2: filter mask=ff ff ff ff ff ff
> dvb_net_feed_start: start filtering
>
> and quite frankly I don't need them... I'd rather have them
> punted to syslog and taken care of appropriately (i.e. sent to
> /dev/null).
>
> Any idea on how to fix this issue?  Ideally, a debugging
> option
> in the kernel configuration would be perfect, but we know we
> don't live in a perfect world, so hacking some source would do
> as well... :-)
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Luca

Home | Main Index | Thread Index