[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

> >a *good* linux driver, with full suspend+sysfs support, and I simply
> >have to use the kernel i2c infrastructure for that.
>
> no, you don't have to.

I do, otherwise I don't get device nodes for my i2c devices.

> Finish the dvbdev sysfs implementation and you will get proper sysfs
> nodes even for you demod, decoder and networking devices, not only for
> the frontend.

dvb core will care about the stuff below /sys/class/dvb/  That isn't the
whole story through.  The devices registered there usually have a device
and a driver symlink pointing into the /sys/devices tree and to
/sys/bus/<bustype>/drivers/<drivername>.  I must register the fe driver
and the physical device within the sysfs tree to be able to get these.
And for that I need a i2c_client per i2c device,

Having a struct device* pointer within the new struct dvb_fe would be a
good thing.  dvb_register_frontend() can correctly register the physical
device for /sys/class/dvb/dvb.frontent then.

> I don't really get your point. The kernel-i2c code was the one that
> again and again caused problems because developers didn't understood the
> API right:

I think that will go away.  Havn't followed the list that closely, but I
guess most of the issues are related to the i2c probing stuff (which
indead is too complex and a bit overdesigned).  That will be no issue
any more as we will stop using the autoprobing.

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;

Home | Main Index | Thread Index