[linux-dvb] Re: 5 Months and counting...

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 01:41 +0100, raid517 wrote:

>> Well maybe this is a record, but I have been trying on ond off for about
>> 5 months now to get my TV card working in Linux.
>>
>> In that time I have tried maybe 8 different distros (although I am now
>> settled on Debian with no intention of switching).
>>
>> I think unless any of you guys have any more suggestions it may be time
>> to give up.
>>
>> Everything seems as it should be. I have a winTV nova-t card, the
>> drivers and (as far as I can tell) the firmware is loaded, the script
>> MAKEDEV-DVB.sh to create the correct devices in /dev/dvb ran without a
>> glitch, lspci and modprobe lists my drivers and card type as being in
>> agreement, cat /proc/devices gives 212 DVB as my major DVB device number
>> - everything *seems* to be singing in harmony.

Is this the nova-t model 90002?

I am not certain of the answer to this, please see my other emails regarding this topic which should hopefully provide you with an answer to this.

>> Yet when I run the
>> command ./scan dvb-t/uk-Fenham I just get the same old output I have
>> always got:
>>
>> ./scan dvb-t/uk-Fenham
>> scanning dvb-t/uk-Fenham
>> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
>> main:1882: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0': 19 No
>> such device

One way to check that the frontend is correctly loaded is to check with
"xawtv -hwls". It will list any dvb devices it find correctly loaded and
will let you scan for channels. You need a recent xawtv 4 snapshot from
http://dl.bytesex.org/cvs-snapshots/

Again than's, I will certainly check that out. To be honest I really wish there was a single application, such as the application that is used to display DVB-T output from my card in Windows that would act as the default user interface for all of the more complex DVB scanning, display and recording stuff. While I am certainly not afraid of complexity - having learned how to hand configure practically every other aspect of a Linux install and to do so without diffuculty - it does seem that the process of setting up a DVB/TV card is somewhat beyond the scope in terms of complexity for the ordinary user. I enjoy the idea of promoting Linux usability - but such a level of difficulty in what seems as though it should be a relatively simple task seems disheartening when trying to convince others that making the switch is on the whole a relatively simple process.

In anycase, this aside, I still don't know why it is trying to load the modules 'input' or dvb_ttpci_dudget_ci nor can I get it to scan my local transmitter.

If I try I get the following output:

root@0[scan]# ./scan dvb-t/uk-Fenham
scanning dvb-t/uk-Fenham
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
initial transponder 509833333 0 1 0 1 0 0 0
>>> tune to: 509833333:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_1_2:FEC_NONE:QAM_16:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to: 509833333:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_1_2:FEC_NONE:QAM_16:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE (tuning failed)
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
ERROR: initial tuning failed
dumping lists (0 services)
Done.

It's scanning the uk-Fenham trnasmitter file that is configured as foloows:

# Fenham
# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
T 509833333 8MHz 1/2 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE

I have no idea how to prgress from here.

GJ

-- Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@pobox.com>

That is certainly a helpful response. Thankyou. Unfortunately I can't do that with Kernel 2.6.8.1 as 'input' is not avaiable as a configurable option - at least not in any of the common utilities such as menuconfig xconfig make config and so on. However if I look at my .Config file, this this already set, that is input=y. I can only guess that the kernel developers have made the assumption that pretty much everyone is going to want some kind of input support or other. Even if they do not want X, they are probably still going to want keyboard support. The mystery is however why does hotplug assume 'input' is part of the dvb package?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index