[linux-dvb] Re: Current DVB and V4L status == utter confusion - please will someone explain!

Patrick Keane <patrick.keane@btinternet.com> writes:

> 1. what is happening to V4l and dvb  ---- for example, what is the
> refactoring branch?  what's with this DVB=1? (When I last compiled dvb
> there was a qualifier BTTV=1)

It's a branch in the linuxtv cvs (dvb-kernel module, checkout / update
with "-r FE_REFACTORING") with the frontend interface redesign.

"make DVB=1" is needed currently when compiling v4l snapshots with dvb
support because they depend on cutting edge stuff from linuxtv cvs
right now.  i.e. they don't build with vanilla kernels, thats why it
is off by default.

> 2.  What is the current way to build and install modules, inside and
> outside the 2.6 kernel - brief one liners!

inside - use the 2.6.9-rc4 patchset from
http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/ (works with final 2.6.9 as well).

outside - better don't try that, even I don't.  At least not _both_
dvb+v4l.  For development I usually use a dvb-patched kernel + and
build v4l externally.

  Gerd

--
#define printk(args...) fprintf(stderr, ## args)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index