[linux-dvb] Re: Writing a DVB driver and some newbie stuff

Mark Watson wrote:

Would I be best off just writing a driver on the adaptor0/frontend0
major/minor to reply to the standard ioctls?

Can you please elaborate a little more in detail what your hardware is
able to do? The "frontend" is basically the thing that fetches the
signal from air or a network -- the frontend device is used to configure
it. A simple MPEG2-Stream-Sniffer has nothing to set up, so you don't
really need a frontend device.

The hardware is taking a stream from a "digital interface" port on a
Satellite STB. I had to do this since the DVB cards are not able to
descramble the signal here:-( I can get the STB to tune to another
transponder by sending commands to the box to change channel via LIRC.

I can easily just use LIRC commands directly to retune the box. It would
probably be neater to do it via the frontend device though. However the
_real_ reason the frontend is useful is that almost all DVB software seems
to expect it. i.e they can't handle having the demux/stream only. So if I
could get the dummy device going that would do for now.

mmmh...

maybe you want to implement some minimal frontend code like that just passes the frontend ioctls via a special device (e.g. a proc or sysfs device) to a userspace agent, this one then maps the frontend parameter set to the matching LIRC command. Tricky and dirty but may work, just an idea...

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index